Even with the enormous strides being made in scientific research, there still is no substitute for human blood. The one and only source of this precious human resource is volunteer donations, and in Georgia there are not enough donations to keep up with patients’ needs. Emergency blood shortages are becoming more frequent as the demand for blood increases due to medical advances and an aging population.
Please join DeKalb Medical's life-saving team by becoming a regular blood donor. Just one donation can help up to three patients and blood donations can be made every 56 days. As long as you are healthy, weigh at least 110 pounds and are 17 or older, you can give blood, the gift of life.
The American Red Cross is an essential partner with DeKalb Medical, providing blood, plasma, platelets and other crucial blood products for our patients who need transfusions. Please call 1.800.RED.CROSS to learn more about donating blood at DeKalb Medical or to schedule an appointment for an upcoming blood drive. Walk-ins are also welcome on blood drive days.
For more information on blood donation eligibility guidelines, visit blood donation eligibility guidelines on the American Red Cross website: www.givelife.org
10. You will get free juice and cookies.
9. You will weigh less — one pint less when you leave than when you came in.
8. It's easy and convenient — it only takes about an hour and you can make the donation at a donor center, or at one of the many Red Cross mobile blood drives.
7. It's something you can spare — most people have blood to spare... yet, there is still not enough to go around.
6. Nobody can ask you to do any heavy lifting as long as you have the bandage on. You can wear it for as long as you like. It's your badge of honor.
5. You will walk a little taller afterwards — you will feel good about yourself.
4. You will be helping to ensure that blood is there when you or someone close to you may need it. Most people don't think they'll ever need blood, but many do.
3. It's something you can do on equal footing with the rich and famous — blood is something money can't buy. Only something one person can give to another.
2. You will be someone's hero — you may give a newborn, a child, a mother or a father, a brother, or a sister another chance at life. In fact, you may help save up to three lives with just one donation.
1. It's the right thing to do!