Having Your Baby at DeKalb Medical
DeKalb Medical delivers more than 6,000 babies each year, placing ours among the top five maternity programs in Georgia. You will appreciate the Women’s Center’s beautiful design and special amenities, and you can rest assured our teams of experts are ready for your unique delivery. From the moment you decide that having your baby at DeKalb Medical is the best thing for you and your baby until the day you go home with your bundle of joy, we strive to make this a special time in your life.
At DeKalb Medical, we understand the childbirth experience is a partnership between the mother, her family, doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals. Our teams of highly specialized and dedicated professionals work together to ensure that each birth is a positive experience for mother and baby.
Our Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR) suites provide the most advanced technology and monitoring equipment for you and your baby. With a relaxed, home-like environment, every room has a private bath with a shower. At DeKalb Medical, we welcome complementary therapies such as aromatherapy or acupressure and extra support people like a birthing coach or a doula. We also provide birthing balls, squat bars and Jacuzzis.
Our Mother-Baby Unit is designed to provide a quiet, comfortable place to rest and recover from your delivery. For newborns requiring special attention, DeKalb Medical is home to the second largest Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Georgia.
Having your baby at DeKalb Medical means you will be cared for in one of Atlanta’s premier birthing facilities that includes:
- 18 spacious Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR) suites offering hotel-like comfort
- State-of-the-art fetal monitoring and other clinical equipment concealed behind custom cabinetry
- 8 private family areas located adjacent to the LDR suites
- 3 surgical suites and 4 recovery rooms conveniently located near the LDR suites
- 10 private obstetrical assessment rooms to evaluate labor progress
- 36 baby bassinets in our admissions nursery
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), the highest clinical level designation
- 52 centrally monitored infant bassinets in the NICU and Growing Preemie Nursery
- Staff anesthesiologists on site 24 hours a day
- Care provided by board-certified neonatologists on site 24 hours a day and supported by specially-trained nurses and respiratory therapists
- 52 private Mother-Baby rooms with mini-refrigerators, high-speed Internet access and comfortable window seat couches roomy enough to sleep on
- Lactation Center with retail store for breastfeeding mothers, located within the Mother & Baby Boutique
- The largest antepartum rooms in Georgia for expectant mothers requiring hospitalization before delivery, along with refrigerators, high-speed Internet access, private bathrooms and centrally located microwaves
- 100-seat auditorium and three private classrooms for prenatal, postpartum, childbirth, first-aid and wellness classes
- Subway and Flamers restaurants offering healthy meals
- Convenient Parking in underground deck beneath the Dr. Bobbie Bailey Women’s Center building