The Wellness Center Members’ Guide
Greetings Wellness Center Members!
Thank you very much for considering and joining The Wellness Center. We are honored to be a part of your health and wellness initiatives. As we welcome you to The Wellness Center, here are a few things to keep in mind:
You are invited to start working out the minute you join The Wellness Center. Please try the pool, the track, all the cardio equipment, the aerobic classes the free weights – it’s all waiting for you.
If you are interested in using the Technogym weight training machines, for your safety and to avoid injury, you must first meet with our Exercise Physiologist to set up an individualized Technogym program and assessment. To schedule a Technogym Set-Up or to make any other fitness appointments, please call 404.501.5415.
The Wellness Center’s amenities include:
- 18,000 square feet
- 18.5-meter (20 feet wide by 60 feet long) indoor heated pool — pool water temperature is maintained at 84 degrees to 87 degrees Fahrenheit
- Indoor, 1/15-mile track
- Spacious aerobic rooms
- Cardiovascular equipment
- Technogym weight equipment
- Free-weight equipment
- Classrooms and demonstration kitchen
- Massage therapy room
- Locker rooms with showers, private dressing areas, daily use lockers
- Mini lockers located in the lobby for your valuables
- Validated parking on every visit to The Wellness Center
Other departments you will find housed in The Wellness Center are: Sports Medicine/Physical Therapy and Cardiac/Pulmonary Rehab. Both these services require a physician prescription.
When you joined, you completed a Health History Survey as part of your application. The answers on your survey may require us to obtain clearance from your physician to exercise – but you can still work out while we are doing this! Your physician may have specific restrictions for you, which we can discuss with you confidentially. Your physician’s recommendations should be followed if they differ from general fitness guidelines.
Due to high volume use of the parking areas surrounding the professional office buildings by patients going for doctors’ appointments, we ask that Wellness Center members park in the deck between the hours of 8:45 a.m. and 5 p.m. Handicapped members and members with limited mobility are invited to park in the surface lots surrounding the professional office buildings.
Be sure to bring your parking ticket with you to be validated. We cannot validate valet parking or parking tickets from the Dr. Bobbie Bailey Tower.
DeKalb Medical employees are required to park in their designated parking area. Employees may park in the Professional Office Building surface lot before 8:45 a.m. and after 5 p.m. Monday - Friday and on the weekends. NOTE: your car cannot be in the Professional Office Building lot after 8:45 a.m. or before 5 p.m. weekdays.
Each time you arrive at The Wellness Center, make sure you check in at the Front Desk and have your parking ticket validated. The Customer Service Representative will check you in using the membership computer. If your membership has expired, payment is required before working out.
Please present your badge each time you check in (see below). This badge should be worn while you are working out.
While checking in, you are invited to pick up a towel at the Front Desk. Towels are provided free of charge by the hospital. Occasionally our towel supply is depleted. It is a good idea to bring a towel from home and keep it tucked in your gym bag for emergency use.
Your membership ID badge will be made and given to you the day you join The Wellness Center. Members are required to present their ID badge upon entry and wear it at all times while visiting. If your badge is lost, stolen or destroyed, a $10 administrative fee will be charged for badge replacement.
Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday: 5:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.Friday: 5:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Wellness Center is open every day except the following holidays: Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. We may open late or close early on the eve of holidays.
Call ahead during inclement weather, 404.501.2222, to be sure the center is open.
- Before working out, check in at the front desk. If your membership has expired, payment is required before working out.
- Personal Training may only be conducted by Wellness Center staff.
- Members must adhere to the dress code: Sweat pants, yoga pants and/or shorts that come midway between the thigh and knee are permitted. Shirts are required in all areas except the pool and locker rooms. Clothing with zippers, buttons or tabs that could catch and harm equipment are not allowed. Proper athletic footwear is required: sandals, flip-flops, bare feet or socks without footwear are not permitted except in the pool area and locker rooms.
- Courtesy is key. Any behavior that may jeopardize the safety of others or that is discourteous toward others cannot be allowed and could result in the revocation of membership.
- Wipe off equipment after use. (Gym wipes are located on the Fitness Floor.)
- When others are waiting, limit the number of sets and the time you use each piece of equipment.
- Because of the potential of allergic reaction, please refrain from wearing perfume during your workout and excessive use in locker rooms.
- All beverages must be in spill-proof, non-breakable containers. Glass containers are not allowed.
- No alcohol or smoking permitted on the premises.
- There are showers on the pool deck for rinsing off. Please make sure that you dry off excess water before returning back to the locker room.
- You cannot enter any pool classes after 30 minutes of class start time.
Swimming Pool Guidelines
- Showering is required prior to entering the pool.
- Only bathing suits and approved aquatic apparel are allowed in the pool.
- Aquatic shoes are encouraged for water aerobic classes.
- For safety reasons diving, pushing, shoving and horseplay are prohibited.
- Bobby pins, hairpins and bandages may not be worn.
- Jewelry, make-up and accessories should be removed before swimming.
- No walkers or water exercises are allowed during lap swim.
- No lap swim is allowed during free swim. Two lap swimmers are allowed per lane.
- No open sores, wounds or blisters.
Call ahead during inclement weather, 404.501.2222, to be sure the pool is open. By DeKalb county regulation, the pool must remain closed for 20 minutes from the last sound of thunder in the area.
Lockers are available for daily use only on a per-visit basis. Members are asked to supply their own locks. Mini lockers are available free of charge in the lobby for your valuables, cell phone, keys, wallets, etc.
Please collect all personal items before leaving the center. All locks left overnight will be removed and locker contents will be placed in Lost and Found. We are not responsible for replacing locks or for any lost, damaged or stolen items.
For those members who may need them, The Wellness Center provides a family dressing room in addition to a pool chairlift to assist clients in and out of the pool.
The Wellness Center is under constant security camera monitoring. This includes visibility of the doorways to the locker rooms.
For the safety of our members and employees, the Wellness Center may close for inclement weather or emergencies. If you suspect or hear media reports about potential emergencies in our area, please call 404.501.2222 for a message explaining the details of our response to the situation.
If you have any questions, please call us at 404.501.2222 or see any Customer Service Rep at the front desk of The Wellness Center.