Occupational and Physical Therapy
Atlanta physical therapy and occupational therapy are available at DeKalb Medical. Our outpatient services and specialty programs include:
- Amputee Rehabilitation begins immediately after surgery, if amputation occurs at DeKalb Medical, and may continue throughout inpatient rehab and after discharge in our outpatient setting. It includes wound healing, physical therapy and occupational therapy to help patients restore daily living activities, preparation for the fitting and use of a prosthesis, pain management, gait training, vocational training and emotional support to help patients fully adapt after a limb loss. These services are available at the North Decatur and Hillandale outpatient clinics.
- Aquatic Therapy is conducted at The Wellness Center pool. It is directed by Atlanta-based physical and/or occupational therapists in a group environment and is designed to increase flexibility, strength and endurance. Aquatic therapy aids with balance problems by reducing weight-bearing forces in the water, allowing patients to exercise with less pain. After an aquatic assessment, patients are scheduled for six occupational therapy visits, with the expectation that patients will become independent in their exercise programs by the end of the final visit. These services are only available at the North Decatur outpatient clinic.
- Bowel/Bladder Therapy is effective for men and women with bowel and bladder incontinence, constipation and/or pelvic pain. This type of physical therapy may include neuromuscular re-education of pelvic floor muscles and strengthening exercises, biofeedback and manual physical therapy. These services are only available at our Hillandale outpatient clinic.
- Pelvic Pain Reduction is offered to both men and women who are experiencing pelvic pain as a result of surgery, trauma and/or medical factors. Therapeutic approaches include manual therapy, joint mobilization, neuromuscular re-education, biofeedback, strengthening and stretching exercises. These services are only available at our Hillandale outpatient clinic.
- Women’s Services are only available at both of our outpatient clinics and include:
- Pregnancy Therapy for women during and after pregnancy to minimize discomfort and alleviate muscle and joint/pelvic pain, leg and hand swelling, nerve compression and more. Treatment programs also include both physical and occupational therapy, such as scar management, postural strengthening and education, pain reduction, balance training and breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Post-Operative Breast Cancer Therapy is designed to restore flexibility and strength, and reduce potential swelling following a lumpectomy, mastectomy or reconstructive surgery.
- Osteoporosis Solutions
- Fibromyalgia Therapy
- Driving Solutions is a specialty occupational therapy program that is directed by a certified occupational therapist. It provides driver assessment for older adults, disabled persons and teens, training and adaptive equipment recommendations for vehicle operation for new, experienced and elderly drivers. These services are only available at the North Decatur outpatient clinic.
- Hand Therapy provides patients with a unique treatment that increases the ability of the hand and upper-extremity to perform functional and vocational activities. Conditions treated include but are not limited to cumulative trauma injuries (CTS to De Quervain’s), tendon repairs, traumatic injuries, fractures, skin grafts and neuropathies. A wide range of individualized physical and occupational therapy treatment plans are offered, including custom splinting, wound care, modalities, scar management, edema control, range of motion and customized home exercise programs.
- Lymphedema Therapy provides patients with specialized care to reduce the functional impairments and discomfort associated with chronic and acute lymphedema. This specialized therapy includes manual lymphatic drainage, compression, therapeutic exercises and education.
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation is provided by a team of experienced therapists that provide one-on-one evaluation and treatment for musculoskeletal dysfunction of the spine and extremities. Additional orthopedic rehabilitation treatment includes a variety of occupational and physical therapy services, such as manual therapy (joint mobilization, soft tissue mobilization and myofascial release), therapeutic exercise, muscle re-education, modalities, assistance with daily living activities, back school, aquatic therapy, body mechanics education and post-operative care.
Contact our rehabilitation services in Atlanta to learn more about our outpatient physical and occupational therapy programs.
Inpatient Occupational and Physical Therapy Services
DeKalb Medical also provides a wealth of occupational and physical therapy inpatient services (Acute Care Hospital-based), including:
- Collaboration with an interdisciplinary team of case managers/social workers, nurses and physicians. Our physical, occupational and speech therapists work with an experienced interdisciplinary team to initiate bedside physical, occupational and/or speech therapy services for our hospital patients and their caregivers. Our goal is to maximize function and facilitate the healing process and discharge planning to help patients receive the most appropriate next level of care.
- Physical and Occupational Therapy in Atlanta is provided for a wide variety of medical diagnoses/conditions, including limb amputation, stroke, cancer and post-surgical patients. Our orthopedic patients include those treated after total joint replacements, spinal surgery or fractures. Our inpatient occupational and physical therapy is focused on maximizing mobility, function and independence after surgery. Peruse our site to learn more about our Joint Solutions Center.
- Neonatal Program includes physical, occupational and speech therapy services which prepare your baby for a healthy homecoming. Our specially trained neonatal therapists work with you and your baby to teach developmental positioning, feeding and activities of daily life to get you ready for a successful start.
Contact our rehabilitation services to learn more about our inpatient occupational and physical therapy treatment