About DeKalb Medical
DeKalb Medical’s state-of-the-art women’s services and facilities cater to Atlanta obstetrics patients. The Maternity Center at our North Decatur Road campus welcomes more than 5,000 newborns a year, placing ours among the top five maternity programs in Georgia. From high-risk pregnancies and multiple births to our newborn nursery and neonatal intensive care unit, which is the second largest in Georgia, we have the technology and specialized services to meet each woman’s individual need.
The Women’s Center offers a comprehensive array of obstetrics, gynecological and maternity services, with an emphasis on family-centered maternity care. We understand the childbirth experience is a partnership between the mother, her family, doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals. Our teams of highly specialized and dedicated professionals work together to ensure that each birth is a positive experience for mother and baby. We welcome complementary therapies such as aromatherapy or acupressure and extra support people like a birthing coach or a doula. DeKalb Medical is also one of approximately 227 Baby Friendly hospitals in the United States. The “Baby-Friendly” designation is given after a rigorous on-site survey is completed. The award is maintained by continuing to practice the Ten Steps as demonstrated by quality processes.
Our Women’s Center, which opened in 2007 as part of the $55 million Women’s and Surgery Center, features all private rooms and an inviting, spa-inspired atmosphere filled with soothing colors, natural stone accents, warm wooden floors, cozy lobby fireplaces and special amenities such as free wireless Internet access throughout the building for patients and their guests. Having your baby at DeKalb Medical means you will be cared for in one of Atlanta’s premier birthing facilities that includes:
- 18 spacious Labor-Delivery-Recovery (LDR) suites, each with a private bath with shower, offering hotel-like comfort
- State-of-the-art fetal monitoring and other clinical equipment concealed behind custom cabinetry
- 8 private family areas located adjacent to the LDR suites
- 3 surgical suites and 4 recovery rooms conveniently located near the LDR suites
- 10 private obstetrical assessment rooms to evaluate labor progress
- Equipment to help with labor such as biirthing balls, squat bars and Jacuzzis
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), the highest clinical level designation, for newborns requiring special medical attention
- 52 centrally monitored infant bassinets in the NICU and Growing Preemie Nursery
- Staff anesthesiologists on site 24 hours a day
- Care provided by board-certified neonatologists on site 24 hours a day and supported by specially-trained nurses and respiratory therapists
- 52 private Mother-Baby rooms with high-speed Internet access and comfortable window seat couches roomy enough to sleep on
- Lactation Center with retail store for breastfeeding mothers, located within the Mother & Baby Boutique
- The largest antepartum rooms in Georgia for expectant mothers requiring hospitalization before delivery, along with refrigerators, high-speed Internet access, private bathrooms and centrally located microwaves
- 100-seat auditorium and three private classrooms for prenatal, postpartum, childbirth, first-aid and wellness classes
- A Starbucks® and a Subway® restaurant offering healthy meals
- Online pre-admission for delivering your baby at DeKalb Medical
- Convenient parking in underground deck beneath the Dr. Bobbie Bailey Women’s Center building
Read about women who have experienced maternity services in Atlanta at DeKalb Medical and you’ll find that we have the right people – a team of highly specialized and dedicated professionals working together for our mothers and babies – to ensure that each birth is a positive experience for mother and baby. You can also view the short videos above to hear first hand how much our patients enjoy their birthing experience here at DeKalb Medical.