Atlanta Breast Ultrasound –
Scheduling and Directions
DeKalb Medical uses breast ultrasound to create images of your breast tissue using high-frequency sound waves. Also called ultrasound scanning or sonography, it involves exposing part of the body to high-frequency sound waves to produce pictures of the inside of the body. Breast ultrasound does not involve radiation. Breast ultrasound also is sometimes used during a breast biopsy.
Breast ultrasound may be used with mammography or by itself. It often is used to find and classify breast lesions in the following types of women:
- Women with dense breasts
- Women with fibrocystic breast disease
- Women with a lesion that cannot be seen clearly enough with a mammogram
- Young women with masses in their breast
- Pregnant women with masses in their breast
- Women with silicon breast implants
- Women who refuse exposure to radiation involved in x-rays such as a mammogram.
A breast ultrasound can detect cysts, benign lesions and malignant lesions or breast cancer. A radiologist, a physician specifically trained to supervise and interpret radiology examinations, will analyze the images and send a signed report to your primary care or referring physician, who will share the results with you.
Preparing for Your Breast Ultrasound
There are no special preparations for your breast ultrasound. On the day of your breast ultrasound, do not use any lotions or powders on your breasts. It may be helpful to wear a two-piece outfit since you will be asked to undress from the waist up.
Scheduling and Directions
Your physician will contact DeKalb Medical to schedule your breast ultrasound for you.
If your breast ultrasound is at DeKalb Medical at North Decatur, go to the Diagnostic Breast Center at DeKalb Medical at North Decatur which is in the 2665 Professional Building.
- From North Decatur Road, enter the hospital campus via Wash Lively Road.
- At road end, turn right.
- At stop sign, turn left and park in the Visitor/Patient parking deck.
- In the parking deck, use elevators A or E or take the stairs to Level 1.
- Cross the street and proceed to the front entrance of the 2665 Professional Building.
- Upon entering the building, the Diagnostic Breast Center entrance is on your left
If your breast ultrasound is being performed at DeKalb Medical at Hillandale, go to the hospital’s registration area.
- Park in the hospital parking lot.
- Proceed to the main entrance of the hospital.
- Registration is directly on the right – you must register before proceeding to the Imaging Department.
- When you have completed registration, a staff member will direct you to the Imaging Department for your breast ultrasound