Scheduling and Directions
A port is a device that allows an easy and reliable way to give you medicine through your veins and take blood samples from your veins. A port is inserted to help patients who need frequent intravenous medicines or blood draws. Patients who have ports often say they are relieved that they do not have to be stuck over and over again to find their veins.
The port is implanted under the chest skin. It is about a half inch think and about the size of a quarter. A flexible piece of tubing is connected to it. This tubing is tunneled under the skin to an area near the neck where it enters a vein. The center of the port is made of a tough, self-sealing, rubber-like material that can be punctured through the chest skin with a special needle many times. This is called “accessing” the port. Once the medications are no longer needed, the needle is withdrawn from the port, which remains under the skin. Each time the port is punctured with a needle, it instantly reseals.
Preparing for your Port Procedure
You should have someone drive you home after the procedure. Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your test. Do not take any blood thinners or aspirin three days prior to your procedure. Be sure to ask your physician about any medications you are taking or any questions your might have about your procedure.
You may resume your normal diet and activities after your port is placed. If you need pain medicine after you go home, contact your doctor.
Scheduling and Directions
DeKalb Medical inserts ports in Atlanta at DeKalb Medical at North Decatur and DeKalb Medical at Hillandale.
If your procedure will be performed at DeKalb Medical at North Decatur, you will need to go to the hospital’s central registration area.
- From North Decatur Road, enter the hospital campus via Wash Lively Road.
- At road end, turn right. (Note: If you are in a wheelchair or need to be dropped off at the entrance, turn left and proceed to the Central Registration patient drop-off which is on the right just past the main hospital entrance. Your driver should then turn around and continue to the Visitor/Patient parking deck.)
- At stop sign, turn left and park in the Visitor/Patient parking deck.
- Take any elevator or stairs to the 3rd level.
- Proceed to the Pedestrian Bridge to the hospital.
- Take bridge straight ahead to the escalators.
- Take escalators down one level.
- Once off escalators, turn right and immediately left and follow the directions to the hospital main lobby.
- Proceed past the hospital Gift Shop on your right.
- Once in the main lobby, follow the hallway to Central Registration.
- At the end of hallway, turn left.
- Central Registration is on the right.
If your procedure is being performed at DeKalb Medical at Hillandale, go to the hospital’s registration area.
- Park in the hospital parking lot.
- Proceed to the main entrance of the hospital.
- Registration is directly on the right – you must register before proceeding to the Imaging Department.
- When you have completed registration, a staff member will direct you to the Imaging Department.