Having a Vascular Ultrasound
Scheduling and Directions
DeKalb Medical offers state-of-the-art technology to perform vascular ultrasound which creates images of the body's veins and arteries using high-frequency sound waves. Vascular ultrasound combines traditional ultrasound with Doppler ultrasonography. Regular ultrasound uses sound waves that bounce off blood vessels to create pictures. Doppler ultrasound records sound waves reflecting off moving objects, such as blood, to measure their speed and other aspects of how they flow.
Also called vascular ultrasound scanning, vascular sonogram or duplex ultrasound, vascular ultrasound involves exposing part of the body to high-frequency sound waves to produce pictures of organs and systems inside of the body. Unlike a traditional X-ray or CT scan, vascular ultrasound in Atlanta at DeKalb Medical does not use ionizing radiation X-ray.
A radiologist, a physician specifically trained to supervise and interpret radiology examinations such as ultrasound or sonogram, will analyze the images from your ultrasound. He or she will send a signed report to your primary care or referring physician, who will share the results of your vascular ultrasound or sonogram with you.
Preparing for Your Vascular Ultrasound
Usually there is no special preparation when you have a vascular ultrasound at DeKalb Medical.
Scheduling and Directions
Your physician will contact DeKalb Medical to schedule your vascular ultrasound procedure for you.
If your vascular ultrasound will be performed at DeKalb Medical at North Decatur, you will go to the hospital’s central registration area.
- From North Decatur Road, enter the hospital campus via Wash Lively Road.
- At road end, turn right. (Note: If you are in a wheelchair or need to be dropped off at the entrance, turn left and proceed to the Central Registration patient drop-off which is on the right just past the main hospital entrance. Your driver should then turn around and continue to the Visitor/Patient parking deck.)
- At stop sign, turn left and park in the Visitor/Patient parking deck.
- Take any elevator or stairs to the 3rd level.
- Proceed to the Pedestrian Bridge to the hospital.
- Take bridge straight ahead to the escalators.
- Take escalators down one level.
- Once off escalators, turn right and immediately left and follow the directions to the hospital main lobby.
- Proceed past the hospital Gift Shop on your right.
- Once in the main lobby, follow the hallway to Central Registration.
- At the end of hallway, turn left.
- Central Registration is on the right.
If your vascular ultrasound is being performed at DeKalb Medical at Hillandale, go to the hospital’s registration area.
- Park in the hospital parking lot.Proceed to the main entrance of the hospital.
- Registration is directly on the right – you must register before proceeding to the Imaging Department.
- When you have completed registration, a staff member will direct you to the Imaging Department.