Cardiac Care: Heart Procedures & Treatments
At DeKalb Medical, we understand how important it is to have options for advanced cardiac care close to home. Our cardiac team provides state-of-the-art heart procedures in Atlanta, Georgia, offering the latest cardiac procedures and three levels of monitored care units, ensuring that your cardiovascular condition can receive exactly the right level of monitoring when you need inpatient cardiac care. Peruse our site to learn more about the various cardiac treatments and cardiac testing we provide.
Monitored Care Units
Many cardiac patients require special cardiac care units that can more intensely monitor their conditions. At DeKalb Medical, we offer three levels of closely monitored care:
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) - This state-of-the-art cardiac care unit provides the most intense level of monitoring for hospital patients.
- Telemetry - This unit is appropriate for inpatients requiring the least intense level of heart monitoring.
- Heart & Vascular Nursing - This cardiac care unit provides a monitoring environment for patients receiving outpatient heart procedures and vascular procedures.
Our monitored care units are staffed with board-certified critical care house physicians, who can work with your physician to provide the highest level of specialized care and heart procedures. Our experienced nursing team has undergone extensive training to care for critically ill patients, regularly attending educational courses to stay abreast of the latest medical advances.
Rooms in our Atlanta-based cardiac care units have been specially designed to meet the needs of critical patients, surgical step-down patients or patients who require cardiac monitoring. They include:
- High-tech, total care beds that can gently turn patients to promote circulation and improve aeration to the lungs.
- Sophisticated cardiac monitors that allow nurses to constantly monitor patients’ conditions via special cameras.
DeKalb Medical’s staff understands the stress that family members may feel when a loved one is in critical condition. Therefore, our fully-trained staff strives to provide quick, thorough updates about a patient’s condition, updates about ongoing heart procedures and treatments and emotional support during this difficult time.
Heart Procedures in Atlanta
For our many community members who suffer from heart disease, DeKalb Medical offers the latest proven treatments, heart procedures and cardiac care including:
- Elective angioplasty – During this procedure, a diagnostic angiogram (catheterization) is performed. If blockage is found, a balloon angioplasty and/or stenting are performed.
- Emergency angioplasty – For patients with a serious type of heart attack called a “STEMI” (short for ST Segment Myocardial Infarct), we provide percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), also known as emergency angioplasty.
- Pacemaker implantation – In these heart procedures, a pacemaker is implanted in individuals who typically suffer from arrhythmia. This device uses electrical impulses to regulate the heart rhythm or reproduce a normal rhythm.
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) – ICDs are larger pacemakers that are used to treat rapid heartbeat by sending electrical shocks to the heart when a rapid rhythm is detected. In these heart procedures, physicians implant this battery-powered device into the chest to record and adjust heart activity.
- Anticoagulation therapy – Since 2002, the Anticoagulation Management Service of DeKalb Medical (Coumadin Clinic) has provided expert and personalized anticoagulation management for individuals receiving anti-clotting therapy. Services are provided by nurse practitioners with specialized training in both oral and injectable anticoagulant therapies. On-site INR testing with immediate results is available at each visit. For more information about anticoagulation cardiac care, please call the clinic at 404.501.2927.
Contact DeKalb Medical’s Heart and Vascular Institute at 404.501.WELL (9355) to learn more about our specialized Atlanta-based heart procedures and cardiac care.