We know it’s stressful and difficult to live with a condition that
demands constant attention. After you have attended a Diabetes
Self-Management class, the following are available to you:
- Healthy eating resources* - how to eat healthy when you're on the go and busy
- Cooking demonstrations* - learn how to cook healthier, such
as using less sodium and additives while also learning different recipes
- Grocery tours & food label reading* - learn what food
labels mean and how specific foods affect your diabetes; you will learn
about food alternatives
- Restaurant visits* - healthy menu choices and portion
control are the most important parts of eating out; this also serves as a
- Exercise classes (requires physician approval to
participate) - an exercise specialist will work with each person and
help set up specific routines
* These classes do not require a physician referral and are free of charge. You can attend as many as you would like.
For more information, please contact the DeKalb Medical Nutrition and Diabetes Education Center at 404.501.1790.