Comprehensive Wound Care Program
DeKalb Medical's Long Term Acute Care (LTAC) wound care program addresses the needs of patients suffering from impaired tissue integrity related to vascular or medical factors or infections. The plan of care for wound care patients involves a carefully monitored balance of nursing, dietary and rehabilitative therapies, typically combined with treatment of various secondary issues— including generalized weakness, infection and nutritional complications. In collaboration with the patient’s physician, the wound care team at LTAC works to develop a plan of care specific to each patient’s unique situation.
A Holistic Approach to Wound Care
- Evaluation and treatment specific to various types of wounds
- Aggressive nutritional management and ongoing dietary evaluation
- Skin protective protocols in place to ensure the best possible outcomes
- Advanced wound care techniques to promote granulation (connective tissue that develops naturally in healing wounds)
- Pain management
- Infection control/isolation capabilities
- Intravenous therapy
- Advanced healing technologies, including pulse lavage (hydrotherapy that uses a pressurized, pulsed solution to irrigate wounds), mist therapy (ultrasound waves that propel a mist of sterile saline to wounds) and wound vac (the use of vacuum to help close a wound)
- Physical, occupational and speech therapies
Wound Care-Related Conditions and Diagnoses:
- Post-cardiovascular procedures
- Pressure ulcers
- Arterial ulcers
- Stasis ulcers (ulcers that develop in an area of the body where circulation is poor)
- Post-abdominal surgery
- Degenerative diseases
- Cellulitis (bacterial skin infection)
- Post-skin graft
- Osteomyelitis (infection of the bone)
Each patient is thoroughly evaluated by a cross-disciplinary team to cultivate an ideal program of treatment for that particular patient. Our focused group approach, involving ancillary and LTAC nursing staff, ensures that every patient achieves the best-possible results.
Click here for a printable copy of the DeKalb Medical Long Term Acute Care Wound Care Services available.
For more information, call 404.501.6226. Or contact us for more details on wound care at DeKalb Medical LTAC.